FAA Makes Pilot Funds Available for Noise Projects

ACI-NA Memo: Feb. 21, 2013

 

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:  The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has issued Program Guidance Letter 13-04, Pilot Program for Redevelopment of Airport Properties. The FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (PL-112-95, section 822) requires that the agency establish a pilot program for up to 4 eligible, public-use airports to either receive Airport Improvement Program (AIP) grants or use Passenger Facility Charge (PFC) funds for projects to redevelop airport land acquired for noise compatibility purposes. Total funding for the pilot program is $20 million, limited to a total of $5 million at a selected airport.

ISSUE:  Airports that have an FAA approved noise compatibility program (NCP) developed under 14 CFR Part 150 may apply to for AIP grants or to use PFC funds for redevelopment of acquired noise land. This pilot project should encourage airport compatible land uses and economic benefits to airport operators and the community.  The grant is intended to enable the airport sponsor and local jurisdictions to expedite compatible redevelopment of airport property. 

As for similar programs, the federal share will be 80% of allowable program costs, and the airport must provide the remaining 20% of the costs. If an airport is interested in this pilot program, they should contact their local FAA Airports District Office for instructions on submitting an AIP grant or PFC approval application. The sponsor’s grant application or PFC approval application must meet requirements under Authorized AIP Grant Funding Section 822 for Pilot Program Projects, and the FAA checklist must be submitted with application (checklist is included in Attachement 1 of the PGL). Completed applications are due by January 15, 2015.

WHO IS IMPACTED: All airports that have an FAA-approved noise compatibility program under 14 CFR Part 15 can apply for the Pilot Program.

WHAT ACI-NA IS DOING:  ACI-NA is informing our members of the opportunity to particiapte in this pilot program.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:  If you have an interest in participating in this pilot project, please contact your ADO or Nancy Williams at FAA headquarters, nancy.s.williams@faa.gov / (202) 267-8822.

REGULATORY REFERENCE: http://www.faa.gov/airports/aip/guidance_letters/media/pgl_13_04_NoiseLandPilot.pdf

ACI-NA CONTACT: Katherine Preston, kpreston@aci-na.org